Carbon monoxide only comes from burning a fuel, such as natural gas, propane, coal or wood. So in the average home, carbon monoxide can only originate from a few places. For example it may come from the furnace, wood stove or fireplace and a running engine in a garage.
Carbon monoxide from a Furnace
Carbon monoxide is always created from a furnace but it is safely vented out side. The problem is when your chimney is blocked. It may be blocked by a nest from an animal or the terra cotta flues can crack and fall over inside the chimney and block the chimney. This is very common these days. The exhaust from the furnace deteriorates the terra cotta.
To prevent the flues from ever deteriorating and falling over, install a stainless steel chimney liner.
Carbon Monoxide from a wood stove or fireplace
Wood stoves can be very dangerous. They can also save you a lot of money by heating our home from a cheap fuel.
The key is to keep everything clean. If you keep your stove pipe and chimney clean, you reduce your chances of ever having a blocked chimney. This chimney was not regularly cleaned and they burned unseasoned wood.
Use a smooth inner wall chimney liner with insulation to reduce creosote build up.
Prevent Carbon Monoxide
A great way to prevent your chimney from ever being blocked by terra cotta flues collapsing is to install a stainless steel flue liner. The stainless steel will never deteriorate nor collapse. Keep it clean and it will last forever. With a wood stove you will have much less creosote build up with a round smooth inner wall insulated chimney liner.